Tuesday, February 21, 2012

50 cents for your soul.....

It's incredibly rewarding to take a week off work and dedicate time to doing art. This week, amongst other things I set myself a goal to at least start a new shrine - my fourth - and low and behold I completed it today. I started out with an old wooden box, a piece of chain from a chandelier, a few heavy bolts and a tibetan tin heart. Then things emerged and evolved, and all the little extra bits I found in my junk drawers led me to create this shrine to Marilyn Monroe. I've always thought Marilyn was cool, in the days between her demise (actually she died a month before my conception) and when her face became popular culture on hand-bags and T shirts. Some Like It Hot is one of my favourite movies, and I adore her with Jane Russell in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. There is of course something sad about her short life, a sweetheart icon persecuted by the press and old men (recognize those dinosaurs?).  Marilyn once said "Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."  She wasn't as blonde as you might think. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, make a comment. I don't bite.